Atrophy

This week the brace came off my broken wrist. Eldest son says the scar looks like a lizard. Youngest son calls my arm Skeletor. Daughter says my arm looks like Darth Vader's head when he takes off his helmet. Can you feel the love?

After five weeks in a cast, then two weeks in a brace, the change in my arm is striking. The skin is pale and flaky, the tendons and ligaments are tight, and the muscles have wasted away. My strength is significantly decreased and my range of motion limited.

Seven weeks without use, and my hand is almost useless.

Atrophy can occur in our spiritual lives as well. Worshipping the Lord brings a healthy glow to our souls. Reading the Bible stretches our thinking and aligns us with God's will. Serving Him exercises our spiritual gifts, and God gives us strength to do the tasks He gives us.

In just a short time, neglecting worship, the Bible, and service can leave us as pasty, stiff, and weak as my poor little arm.

In the next few months, I'll be working my arm hard to regain what I've lost. And I'll be keeping my spirit in motion too.

"Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever. Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air. No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize" 1 Corinthians 9:25-27.

A trophy or atrophy - the choice is yours.

Labels: , ,